Kuala Lumpur / Historical Map and photos 2
The city grew rapidly since the first batch of Chinese miners came. Under the watch of the third Kapitan China of Kuala Lumpur, Yap Ah Loy, Kuala Lumpur as a small mining village grew fast to one of the biggest commercial centre in Malaysia. After the civil war in late 1860s, Yap Ah Loy recaptured and rebuilt the town in 1875 and the centre of the Chinese settlement was moved from Klang and Gombak rivers to the nowadays Old Market in the centre of Kuala Lumpur under the British intervention.
Kuala Lumpur then became a modern town when the British representative Frank Swettenham developed the first city plan and rich miners built colonial houses. Kuala Lumpur replaced Klang as the state capital of Selangor in 1887. By the time being, there were 518 brick houses in Kuala Lumpur, the dirtiest opium shops and brothels became the neatest town in the colony. In late 1890s, the railway reached Kuala Lumpur and its surrounding area, it also brought urban functional structures like school, bank and hospital to KL.
Map of Kuala Lumpur City @ 1895 by J. M Gullick
The old market square where Yap Ah Loy ran his businesses of Opium and gambling@ by Arkib Negara
The old Victoria Institution building at High Street @ 1894 from VI school magazine