Ho Chi Minh/ Reunification Palace
The Reunification Palace was another important building within Saigon located in District 1, which is the center of Ho Chi Minh City.
It was originally built in the colonial era, which was used by the French Governor of Cochinchina. It was called Norodom Palace, also known as the Governor’s Palace. It was handed over to South Vietnam when the French gave up Vietnam. It had become the official residence of the President of South Vietnam.
It was bombed and partly destroyed by Vietnamese Nationalist Party supporters. It was then rebuilt as the Independence Palace by a Vietnamese architect called Ngô Viết Thụ who was the winner of First Grand Prize of Rome In 1955.
The Vietnam War officially ended and Vietnam was reunified at this particular place as the last president of South Vietnam surrendered at this location. North Vietnamese Army did not accept the surrender and actually broke into the gates of the palace to end the war.
The Independence Palace was then renamed as Reunification Palace after North Vietnam reunified Vietnam.
Its importance of symbol of power was reflected by its name and function. As it is once the building for accommodation and administration of the person with the highest power in the Country. The renaming of the palace from Norodom Palace to the Independence Palace symbolizes Vietnam is finally free from the colonial control of French. It was then renamed to Reunification Palace when Vietnam is reunified to symbolize the reunification of Vietnam. A building with such symbol is also a target for attack as it was bombed a few times during Vietnam War and eventually the place that ended the Vietnam War, the place where the President of South Vietnam surrendered his power.