The Take Off under British Intervention at the End of 19th Century
The population of Kuala Lumpur boomed to 25,000 in 1885, comparing the population of 2,000 in 1878. Continuing the rehabilitation after the fire, by 1887 there were 518 brick houses in the town, twice as many as in 1884.
Under the rule of Sir Swettenham, Kuala Lumpur had its own urban plan for the first time. The town was divided into four parts by arterial roads. The four parts contained their own function and activities, including the major commercial part, blacksmiths and other hazardous industries, opium and cooking shops and lastly the brothels.
Kuala Lumpur by mid 1880s was no doubt the regional mining and commercial centre. Nevertheless being the capital of Selangor state, it was still a small town, probably just more prosperous than other mining centresin Malaysia. To export tin, it took three days shipping the tin merely from Kuala Lumpur to Port Klang. In 1886, the first railway linking Kuala Lumpur and Klang. The three days travel was reduced to a few hours. By 1895, all the mining towns were well connected by railway.
The railway not only carried tin out, but also brought back other goods in. Ice factories, light industries, and European bakeries and eateries, as well as French hairdresser, hotels and banks. The improvement of urban planning and division provided a well supported hub for all these modern industries and services to take place in the town. Finally, in 1896, Kuala Lumpur became the capital of F.M.S.