Zionist Migration in Tel Aviv
In the late 19th century, a number of Zionist Aliyah took place in the Eastern Europe, bringing a large amount of population into the cities of Israel, which also led to the establishment of Tel Aviv. In the 1880s, approximately 35,000 Jews immigrated to Ottoman Palestine from Russia, which noted the first modern widespread wave of the Zionist Immigration. A second wave of immigration in 1904 was followed by the First Aliyah, bringing 40,000 Jews again from Russia to the country. With the large population and the outbreaks of anti-Semitism, organisations and communities were formed. Ahuzat Bait, a new suburb of Jaffa was then established in 1909, and eventually grew to become the city of Tel Aviv.
The Third Aliyah in 1919 brought 40,000 more Jews from Russia to the city, which almost doubled the population of Tel Aviv, creating burdens on the availability of land use. From the map which depicts the area of Jaffa and Tel Aviv in 1923, it is clearly shown that the boundary of Tel Aviv grew drastically outward away from the city centre of Jaffa, and the darker parts also show how the population gathered and settle all along the area of expansion. As the city continue to grow, the Forth and Fifth Aliyah started to not only bring immigrates, but mainly middle-class families and professionals from Germany into the city. These professionals include refugee architects and musicians introduced styles and cultures to the city, thus the Jewish Population reached 450,000 by 1940.