MUMBAI/ Settlements in the North of the Island City
SETTLEMENTS in the North of the Island City
The diagramatic map below drawn by Thomas Dickinson in the nineteeth century shows the landuse and occupation of settlements in the Island. In the northern part of the Island, land was mainly dominated by rice fields, marshes and coconut plantation, contrasting with the southern part of the Island which were mostly built-up and developing area. Unlike the urban use in the south, the northern part was mostly occupied by agrarian use where inhabitants’ occupations were determined by the nature of the lands and geographical factors.
The following map in 1897 shows the northern part of the Bombay Island. On the right portion of the map, the Matoonga and Sion villages were located just east of the railway. Salt plans can be seen with irregulated plots beside each other. While the left side shows another type of settlements, where the Mahim woods were located on the west. These areas were included in the BIT schemes as part of the suburb developments. It was presumably these were inhabited by Kolis, Agris, Bhandaris, Mahars and Gowaris.
Dossal, M. (2010). Theatre of conflict, city of hope: Mumbai, 1660 to present times. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.