Facts that shape the White City of Tel Aviv
Due to a number of more than 4000 white Bauhaus buildings, Tel Aviv is often called “The White City”. The White City is divided into three zones: the center (ie literally heart of the city), the Central White City and the Northern White City. The Northern White City was built in around the late 1940s to the early 1960s, while the other two zones were built as early as the early 1930s.
Back to the times in 1930-1948, the architectural style was mainly addressed as International style, and later Bauhaus style was built as well. Both the International and Bauhaus style don’t have a clear differentiation from each other, and to some extend they might have merged together in some of the buildings within the city.
In 2004, the White City has been the UNESCO for World Heritage declared. The adaptation of architectural styles that responds towards the different social issues especially the climatic conditions (aka the Mediterranean climate of the Middle East), brings this completely new image to Tel Aviv. The aspiration to building a new society back in the 1930s has greatly contributed to the Tel Aviv today, such as the determination to implement Geddes Plan and all the other considered plans, to redevelop Tel Aviv in both social and geographical aspects. The White City of Tel Aviv is therefore an important heritage site that shows a great example on the unusual urban planning history.
- THE WHITE CITY – TEL AVIV , Carsten Hueck
- Metsger-Samoḳ, Nitsah. 2004. Des Maisons Sur Le Sable. Paris: Eclat.
- Bandau Irmel, and Winfried Nerdinger. Tel Aviv Modern Architecture, 1930-1939. Tü bingen: Wasmuth, 1994