Kyoto City Landscape Policy/The History of Landscape formation and Town Development in Kyoto
京都の景観・まちづくり史 – The History of Landscape formation and Town Development in Kyoto
This text is chapter two of a series of documents released by the Kyoto City Government, describing in the detail the 2007 Landscape Policy. This chapter is about the development of Kyoto City and the events that led up to the policy.
The landscape policies actually began long ago and received many revisions since then. After World War 1, there was a need for a planning regulation to control the increasing population and industries in the city center. In 1919 the first building height law was introduced. In addition, the city was split into zones such as the ‘aesthetic district’ and ‘fire prevention district’ .
In the 1950s, the building regulations were amended and the city started to regulate the advertisement signs in the city. At the same time there was also a huge wave of urban development. A hotel was to be built at a historical site and despite strong protest from the public, the current system had no right to stop its construction. Kyoto, along with several other cities, appealed to the national government. As a result, the ‘Ancient Capitals Preservation Law’ was enforced in 1966.
Kyoto has always been active in the preservation of its city, always revising its policies and encouraging cooperation between national government, city authorities and the public.
 City of Kyoto. “The History of Landscape formation and Town Development in Kyoto“. 2010